Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chikkarangappa takes day one honours

Bangalore, June 21, 2011: In his home town, S. Chikkarangappa shot a two-under 70 to become the leader after day one at Toyota Corolla Altis Southern India Amateur Championship at KGA, Bengaluru. Currently No. 3 on the IGU’s merit list Delhi’s Gagan Verma shot level par to finish at the second position while another Delhi lad Sourabh Bahuguna hit one-over to end the day in third place.

The Nick Faldo Series Champion Abhijit Chadha from Chandigarh could not play aggressively as he hit four bogeys in the front nine as well as on 18th and a lone birdie on 14th to close the day with four-over 76 along with Delhi’s Siddharth Semwal for 18th place.

17-year-old Chikka had a very good start of the day as he shot a birdie on 5th and eagle on 11th but he was little bit unlucky with a bogey which he made on the hole No. 9th. Though, the wind was strong but Chikka found his own way to maneuver it.

The rising star of Bangalore, Chikka said, “I was glad with my every shot today but I am not going to sit idle after this round as I know this course is not like others where you have all the holes pretty similar. You have to be ready to hit from all 14 clubs at this course due to the unusual slopes but I will practice hard to make sure that I am in the contention everyday. All I would need to do is just to drive well and since I am pretty good in my chipping and putting."

Photo caption: S. Chikkarangappa in action at Toyota Corolla Altis Southern India Amateur Championship at Karnataka Golf Association course in Bangalore on June 21, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment