Sunday, June 26, 2011

Chikka remains in lead on the second day

Bangalore, June 22, 2011: S. Chikkarangappa struggled the entire day 2 as he returned with a bad score of three-over 75, but he did maintain his lead in Toyota Corolla Altis Southern India Amateur Golf Championship at the KGA. Chikka is leading with the margin of two strokes from Rahul Ravi as well as Khalin Joshi who shot level par for the total of 147 in a tie for the second place on their home course.

Chandigarh’s Abhijit Chadha shot one-over for the total of 149 along with Haryana’s Angad Cheema and the winner of this year’s NCR Cup Delhi’s Kanishk Madan for tied fourth place.

17-year-old Chikka, the winner of Inter State Championship in Coimbatore, scored handsome birdies on 5th, 10th and 15th but couldn’t putt strongly as he had double bogey on 6th, bogey on 7th and 13th. He couldn’t control his temperament as he again shot a double bogey on 18th on a windswept day.

Disappointed Chikka said, “I putted very badly today. Though there were some great putts but I lacked consistency. Two double bogeys cost me a lot and then it was difficult to focus. On the 18th where I wanted to make at least the par, I hit right in the hazard and from there my ball went to the green but I missed the three feet putt and close it with another bogey. I will take it as another bad day or my hard luck and will work on my putting. Once home I will put the bad day out of my head and will aim to not repeat the mistakes.”

Starry Kahlon from Udham Pur was another lad to hit the level par as the best score of the day to make the cut for the first time in his short career. Coming from the Army background Kahlon said, “In the morning before the tee-off I thought I missed enough and this is the time to make my dad proud of myself. There is enough empty space after every shot and I kept on thinking about my father because he is a great golfer and I caddied for him for about two years. The concentration helped me a lot today to shoot a level par score and I am fully equipped to play much better from tomorrow onward even if I don’t practice.”

Press release


No comments:

Post a Comment