Monday, June 27, 2011

Chikkarangappa adds another feather to his cap

Bangalore, June 24, 2011: Khalin Joshi’s dream to land the title ended in a disappointment after a superb performance from S. Chikkarangappa gave the National top amateur a five shot victory in the final day of Toyota Corolla Altis Southern India Amateur Golf Championship at KGA, Bangalore. It was a back-to-back victory in the Indian Amateur circuit for Chikka in the south leg of the tournament.

After hitting a bad score yesterday, 17-year-old Chikka wanted to turn it around. He hit four birdies on 2nd, 8th 10th, 11th and two bogeys on 5th and 14th to finish at two-under 70 for the total of one-over 289.

In front of large galleries on the course, filled with Bangalore crowd and few fans, both Chikka and Joshi looked aggressive in the beginning. Though Khalin Joshi made a good start by firing birdies on first two holes but bogeys on 4th, 7th, 9th, 13th 18th and a double bogey on 5th did not allow him to fill the gap of five strokes.

Finally the overnight leader Khalin Joshi, closed with a 77 for the total tally of 294 to take the runner’s up spot while Northern India Champion, Abhijit Chadha was third with the score of one-over 73 for the total of 295.

After collecting the trophy, a delighted Chikka said, “I am very happy with the way I won today. I never thought in my life that I would win by five-shots but somewhere the confidence of winning was always there. The main point where I realized that the title is in my hands was the hole No. 8th. I holed 30-footer outside the green and made a birdie from there and that was the best birdie in my entire career. Also, I was kicking my putter in the last three days and I actually kissed it this morning, I think that helped me a lot to make this happen.”

“I have always been a good finisher but somewhere my mind was saying that Khalin might win since it’s his home course. Without a doubt, he is a great player and we both played a very good game. I think he just lost it after the double bogey on 5th and it can happen with anybody in this game. Though we fight on course a lot for good but I am so proud to be his friend,” added Chikka.

The winner of NCR Cup this year, Kanishk Madan carded four-over 76 for the total of 297 to finish in fourth position while the fifth place was taken by Asian Games silver medalist, Rahul Bajaj after shooting one-over 73 for the total of 299. Another Bangalore lad Trishul Chinappa who shot four-under in the third day as the best score of the event, ended 11 strokes behind the winner to take the 6th position.

Photo caption: S. Chikkarangappa and Khalin Joshi (right) display their winner and runner-up trophies of Toyota Corolla Altis Southern India Amateur Golf Championship at KGA,Bangalore on June 24, 2011.

Press Release

No comments:

Post a Comment