Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Om Prakash Chouhan bags title with an impressive four-stroke margin at Golden Greens


Gurgaon, September 14, 2012: Om Prakash Chouhan of Mhow registered an impressive four-stroke victory at the PGTI Players Championship at the Golden Greens Golf & Country Club in Gurgaon after he shot a
one-under-71 in the final round on Friday. Chouhan ended up with a total score of seven-under-281 to bag his second professional title.


Shiva Ram Shrestha of Nepal and Md Sanju of Kolkata were the joint runners-up at three-under-285.

Om Prakash Chouhan (69-69-72-71), the overnight leader, had a shaky start when he bogeyed the second after finding the rough with his tee-shot. The 26-year-old was in excellent putting form as he converted par putts from eight to nine feet on a regular basis from the third through the 10th. He then sank a 12-footer for birdie on the 11th to take a two-shot lead and followed that up with another crucial
10-feet birdie putt on the 13th.

Chouhan, who bagged his maiden professional title earlier this year, had all but sealed it by the time he stepped onto the 18th tee despite his bogey on the 17th. He finished it in style with a chip-in for
birdie on the 18th.

Om Prakash said, “My putter was hot today and I was quite accurate with my hitting on the back-nine. The number of par saves from eight to nine feet on the front-nine kept me ahead through the day. The pressure eased on me when I converted the 12-feet birdie putt on the 11th that gave me a two-stroke lead. I was confident of closing out the match from there on. My strategy of not using the driver paid-off through the week as I managed to dodge the thick rough on either side of the fairways.”

He added, “I’m delighted with my second win of the season. This has been a very successful season for me so far and importantly I’ve learnt how to finish well.”

Md Sanju (73-67-71-74) of Kolkata came in joint second to record his best ever finish as a professional. His final round of 74 featured one birdie and three bogeys.

Shiva Ram Shrestha (66-75-72-72) of Nepal shared second place along with Md Sanju. Shrestha fired four birdies and four bogeys in his round of 72 on Friday.

Mukesh Kumar of Mhow, Lucknow’s Sanjay Kumar and Delhi’s Vinod Kumar shared the fourth spot at two-under-286.

Gurgaon’s Shubhankar Sharma won the trophy for the best performance by an amateur. He was the highest-placed amateur in the field at tied ninth position with a total score of two-over-290.


Press release

No comments:

Post a Comment