Friday, October 25, 2013

Bhavina wins silver at Beijing

Beijing, October 21, 2013: Bhavina Hashmukhbhai Patel, a surprise finalist, became the first Indian to win a silver medal at the 2013 ITTF PTT Asian Table Tennis regional championships here today. Bhavina lost to top-seed Zhang Miao of China 6-11, 9-11, 2-11 in the final of the Women’s singles Class 4 Second Stage.

Bhavina earlier in the afternoon upset second-seeded Ji Nam Jun from Korea 3-1 (11-6, 9-11, 11-7, 11-9) and Taipei’s Ya Chu Lee 11-2, 11-8, 11-6 in the quarterfinals. 

“I’m happy I could come this far in my maiden appearance. I would have loved to win the gold, but I cannot complain. I lost to the top-seeded and a better player,” said the girl from Gujarat. “It is my first trip to Beijing and am thoroughly enjoying the limelight,” she added.

This was the first that the TTFI was entrusted with the selection and sending of Para-Table Tennis team by the Sports Authority of India (SAI) in consultation with the sports ministry. The TTFI conducted the selections trials at Indore last month. 

In Class 5 Women’s singles, again another top see prevailed when China’s Zhang Bian defeated Jordan’s Khetma Abuaward to win the crown 3-1 (11-7, 13-15,11-5, 11-6). Like Bhavina, the Jordanian too was a surprise finalist in Class 5.

A TTFI Press release


No comments:

Post a Comment