Friday, March 1, 2013

Vijitha Bandara holds 3 shot lead on day 3 of 8th NCR Cup


Bandara on 18th green after missing the eagle at Delhi Golf Club on February 28, 2013

New Delhi, February 28, 2013 Overnight leader Sri Lanka's Vijitha Bandara shot one-over 73 to hold the lead on day three of Gannon Dunkerley 8th NCR Cup at the Delhi Golf Club. Bandara’s three days total was 217. Three shots behind was India’s Samarth Dwivedi after firing a two-under 70 for a total of 220 along with another countryman Prince Kajotia who finished third.

India’s Amit Kumar, who was tied on 2nd position yesterday, came back with the score of four-over 76 for the total of 224 to slip at 4th. India’s Pratap Atwal, whose best score on this course is seven-under, returned with two-under 70 for the total of 225 in a tie along with Dhruv Sheoran who shot four-over 76 for the total of 225.

Currently Number one on Sri Lanka amateur circuit, Bandara started the day with a bogey on first hole which led to lapse in concentration but he did some breathing exercise on the 2nd tee box to hit back to back birdies on 2nd, 3rd and 5th. He was level par after front nine but bogeys on 11th and 17th and a birdie finish got him one-over in total.

Not too impressed with putting, Bandara said, “I could have been three or four under today if I would not have missed short putts on first, 8th, 11th and 14th. I was also confused at some of the holes as my mind was saying something and my caddy was saying something else. I closed my eyes on the 18th green and counted from 20 to 1 to balance my mind but still I missed the eagle by six inch. I will do my breathing exercise in the evening so that I can start fresh tomorrow to clinch the title.”

43 players will be vying for the title tomorrow as two Pakistani players Sardar Murad and Amir Mehmood and Indian K. K. Bajoria withdrew from the tournament. 




No comments:

Post a Comment