Friday, March 8, 2013

Kapur strikes disaster on sixth, but home boys do well


New Delhi, March 6, 2013: Shiv Kapur, who has won his last two strokeplay events, maintained his humorous side, as he came with a 69 that included a quadruple bogey on the sixth (his 15th hole) on the first day of the SAIL-SBI Open presented by Incredible India on Wednesday.

He said, “Like I was telling Dean Jones (the great Australian cricketer who was following Shiv’s group), the front nine was like India and the back nine was like Australia (in recent cricket Test matches). It was quite disappointing to finish that way after my start. Shooting 29 at the front nine, I set myself up for a possibly a very low number. I just had one bad hole on six with a quadruple bogey eight. I don’t think I’ve ever made an eight on that hole in my 20 years of playing here.”

He added, “It’s one of those things that happen in golf and take it on the chin and move on. I hit my tee shot right and hit the monument and went further right in the bush. Tried to chip out but it clipped the stone and went back into the bush and had to take an unplayable inside the bush. Back on the fairway and hit my fifth to the back of the green and then missed the putt.”

He admitted that the first nine (back nine of the course) was a great run. “I was playing great. Hitting a lot of good shots and making a lot of putts.” He had five birdies and an eagle on 18th.

Then he said, “I was having visions of going double digits under par. You take what you get and move on.”

Chiragh, who has grown up at this course like Shiv Kapur, said, “It was a good round, a good start to the tournament. I had a few chances, which I missed out on but I’m not going to complain. 68 is a good round and I’m quite happy with the way I played. I hit the ball pretty good off the tee and my second shots were good as well and I putted pretty well. Overall, it was a great day. I hope it is a sign of things to come. “

On his first round, he said, “I made a few long putts today which feel good. The putts were between 15 and 25 feet.”

He did admit, “The other advantage I have this week is that I know this course pretty well having played here all my life. I’ve won a big event on this course back in 2010 and performed well in a number of Asian Tour events here including the 2011 Indian Open when I was runner-up.”

Manav Jaini also worked on the home advantage at the DGC and he has finished second at the Panasonic Open in 2011, when Anirban Lahiri won the event. Jaini has a few other top-5s also at DGC.



No comments:

Post a Comment