Friday, March 8, 2013

Rookie Joshi and Chapchai share lead in SAIL-SBI Open golf


New Delhi, March 6, 2013: Rookie Khalin Joshi got off to a dream debut on the Asian Tour with a six-under 66 on his first day of the SAIL-SBI Open presented by Incredible India, Ministry of Tourism, as he shared the lead with former champion and world record holder, Thailand’s Chapchai Nirat in the first round of the tournament that got underway at the fabulous Delhi Golf Club on Wednesday.

Chapchai and Joshi lead by one shot over Qualifying School winner Chan Kim of the United States.

Chapchai launched his quest to end a four-year winless and snared eight birdies against two bogeys in the morning session. In the afternoon he was joined by Joshi at the top. Joshi, the top Indian Amateur in 2012, turned pro at the start of the year and on Wednesday he had nine birdied against three bogeys on a day he called as ‘dream debut’.

Chiragh Kumar shot a solid 68 to share third place with Bangladeshi Siddikur while Shiv Kapur (69) failed to capitalise on his magnificent outward 29 when he came home in 40 after taking a quadruple bogey eight on the sixth hole. Manav Jaini, another DGC star, who has some excellent finishes in Asian Tour events at his home course, also carded a creditable 69.

Defending champion Anirban Lahiri started with a sedate one-under 71, while Rikard Karlberg champion in 2010 shot even par 72. Four-time Asian Tour winner, Gaganjeet Bhullar went three-over 75.

Khalin Joshi was ecstatic with his round. He said, “It was a great start, but I will take it. I putted really well today. I’ve been hitting the ball well the past few weeks but the putter was hot today, made quite a few. Hit a great tee shot on seven to two inches, wish it was a hole in one but its okay.”

The young Bangalorean added, “I’m going to approach the rest of the week like how I did today, just play within myself. This is the first week I am not playing with my driver. I’ll do that the whole week. Just keep the same attitude.”

Speaking of his fellow Bangalorean, Anirban Lahiri, the defending champion, Joshi said, “Anirban is a great friend of mine and I look up to him. I’m looking forward to doing something this week. It will mean the world to me, if I can win my first Asian Tour tournament as a pro. I’m looking forward to it.”

Joshi, who turned pro at the start of the season, added, “I feel I was ready to turn pro, so I did that, since I had some very seasons as an amateur. Last year, I was number one on the amateur tour. I played for Indian junior and amateur team for six years. Shot a 62 at my home course at the KGA in Bangalore last year. Finished third in the Nomura Cup was a good thing. So, the decision to turn pro was natural.”


The 29-year-old Chapchai, whose last victory was in the SAIL-SBI Open in 2009 when he set a new world record for 72-holes with his winning 32-under-par 256 total, wielded a hot putter to move up the leaderboard.

 “My putting was very good today. I made a lot of one putts out there, probably took 27 or 28 putts,” said Chapchai, who played alongside Kapur.

“Shiv played well on our front nine (on the back) and then I played well coming in. I stuck to my game plan. It’s a tough course as the fairways are small. But if you can hit fairways, you can make birdies as you’ve probably got a short iron into the greens.”

His only disappointing was two three-putt bogeys at the 10th and ninth holes. “I started on 10 with a three putt and finished at nine with a three putt, so that was not so good. But it was still pretty good overall. I stuck to my new putting routine and didn’t take too much time over my putts. I feel confident for the rest of the week,” said Chapchai, who is seeking a fourth Asian Tour title.

Chan produced two chip-in birdies as he moved into contention in what is his rookie season on the Asian Tour, which is celebrating its milestone 10th season in 2013.

“I struggled two weeks ago in Myanmar. To finally put together a good round feels good,” he said.

The strapping Korean-American was stunned when he stepped foot for the first time to the Delhi Golf Club. “I was pretty shocked when I got here. My partners in Myanmar were telling me how narrow it was and I looked online and it didn’t look as narrow. But when I stepped on the first tee on Monday, I kind of got a taste of how it really is,” he smiled.

Chiragh Kumar, who lost his full playing rights after finishing 74th on the Order of Merit last season, was delighted to get into the title mix with a 68 which included five birdies against a lone dropped shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment