Friday, July 19, 2013

Kapur enjoys a dream start at The Open, finishes round one in tied fourth

Muirfield (Gullane, Scotland), July 18, 2013: Shiv Kapur enjoyed a dream start at the 2013 British Open as he fired a super three-under-68 to end round one in tied fourth place on Thursday. He currently trails the leader, American Zach Johnson, by two shots.

Kapur, currently ranked 210th in the world, had a whirlwind front-nine on the first day of the 142nd Open Championships. He had an unbelievable run of six birdies on the first seven holes that helped him grab the lead. The 31-year-old held on to the lead till the 10th where he found the bunker and double-bogeyed to slip into joint second behind Zach Johnson. He landed his shot in the bunker once again on the 14th to drop another stroke.

Shiv’s sublime effort on the first-nine ensured he ended the day in tied fourth at three-under for the day.

At three-under 68, Kapur was two behind Zach Johnson, the 2007 Masters champion and just one behind Spaniard Rafael Cabrera-Bello and veteran American Mark O’Meara, who shot 67 each. Miguel Angel Jimenez, Dustin Johnson, Brandt Snedeker and Tom Lehman were tied with Kapur at 68.

Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Angel Cabrera and Francesco Molinari were among those at two-under.

Kapur, making his second appearance at the Open, was proud of his opening round effort. He said, “Yeah, it's nice. Nobody is expecting me to be up there and nobody was really. It's a funny name in the middle of all those sort of proven Major winners and stuff. But it was nice to see my name up there. At least I can hold my head up high and say I led The Open Championship, the greatest tournament I think there is. That's something I'll take a lot of pride in.”

Kapur went on to add, “I got off to a dream start. I birdied my first three, and after that I just said, just keep doing what you're doing, do the basics right, hit fairways and greens. Probably the fastest greens I've ever played in my life. They weren't green, they were white out there. I couldn't get the ball to sort of stop. So I knew it's tough to hole putts out there, but you've just got to keep giving yourself chances.”

Talking of the difference between the front and back nines, he said, ““It's probably pretty close to the best nine holes I've ever played. The back nine, obviously was a bit scratchy. The putts fell for me on the front nine. I didn't really feel like I played badly on the back nine either. But on the 10th, I found a fairway bunker and made a three-putt out of nowhere. That happens on this golf course. I hit a bad drive on the 14th as I pulled it a bit left. But you have to take your medicine, take your bogey and just get out of there. I guess if at the start of the day you'd said 3-under I would take it. Obviously when you're 6-under after 9, you hope you can hold on to it on the back nine. All in all the way the course was playing, I don't think I could really complain.”

Kapur, who missed the cut by one stroke in his only previous appearance at the Open back in 2006, on Thursday, became the first Indian ever to hold the sole lead at any stage in a Major. Jeev Milkha Singh had shared the lead after nine holes on the opening day of the 2007 US Masters.

The Delhi lad’s putter was on fire on the fast greens at Muirfield. He had a great putt on the first and then hit his approach shot on the second to a tap-in distance. He followed this up with a long putt on the third to accumulate three birdies in a row.

Kapur made par on the fourth before firing three more birdies in a row from the fifth through the seventh.

His sixth birdie on the seventh made him the sole leader, as he leapt past the 2007 Masters Champion, American Zach Johnson (66).

In the morning, Johnson, Miguel Angel Jimenez (68) and Mark O’Meara (67) had scorched the front nine with five-under 31 each but Kapur went one better.


After a victory-drought for seven years since his first and only triumph on the Asian Tour in 2006, Kapur finally won at the end of 2012 in a domestic event in India. He followed that up with another win at the start of 2013 at the Gujarat Kensville Challenge, a European Challenge Tour event, in Ahmedabad, India.

Press release

No comments:

Post a Comment