Saturday, November 5, 2011

Chikkarangappa adds another title to his tally

Mumbai, November 4, 2011: Bangalaore’s S. Chikkarangappa added LIC Western India Amateur Golf title to his already impressive tally after an amazing display of ball striking and putting on the final day at the Bombay Presidency Golf Club here. Chikka shot 5-under for the total of 20-under 260 to get pass his group member Khalin Joshi by 11 shots at Par-70 course.

The duo from Bangalore captured the leader board with their stupendous performance. Joshi shot 1-under for the total of 9-under 271 while three shots behind was Udayan Mane with 2-under for the total of 6-under 274 to make it top 3 for Bangalore boys.

German Dominic Foos who got the wild card entry from the club directly, played consistent golf from day one and finished his run with the total score of one-under 279 at the fourth place in a tie along with Chandigarh’s Angad Cheema who was third yesterday.

Three time winner on the amateur circuit this year, Chikkarangappa started the day with an eagle on 1st and made a birdie on the 5th. He slumped at the 11th where he had a double bogey but regained composure to score a birdie at the 12th, 13th, 15th and 18th. Chikka said, “I want to dedicate this win to my 3-days old nephew. This win is very special to me as it’s my best career finish so far. I am so thrilled but at the same time, I miss home. I need to see my mom and my nephew before going to work on improving my game.”

Joshi was level par in front nine after making a birdie on the 1st hole and a bogey on 3rd. He then dropped another shot on 14th which he recovered by making an eagle on 16th for today’s 1-under 69.

Mane shot 2-under on the final day same as the day one. Mane said, “I tried making few changes in the back nine which helped me but I ended up making bogeys on 14th and 15th. I think I should have applied the change from day one rather then keeping them for the final day. I am quite satisfied with my position today but I need to spend more time on fitness and my putting.”

The 14-year-old Foos, who started golfing at the age of 3 with his father in Germany, gave a neck-to-neck challenge to Chikkarangappa as he shot 5-under for the day. An excited German said, “This is my first time I played a tournament in India but the kind of aggression I have seen in Indian players, I have not seen in any other country. I would like to come to India again to take few lessons from players like Chikkarangappa and Gagan Verma.”

Photo caption: Bangalaore’s S. Chikkarangappa holds aloft LIC Western India Amateur Golf Championships trophy in Mumbai on November 4, 2011.

Press release

No comments:

Post a Comment