Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Randhawa hopes to carry on his good form at SAIL Open

Gurgaon, March 17
Buoyed by the title in Thailand earlier this month, Jyoti Randhawa will be hoping to carry on the form which has made him one of the most feared golfers on home turf in India, when he tees off at the second SAIL Open at the Classic Golf Resort. The Asian Tour resumes this week from March 18-21 for SAIL Open after taking a one-week break.

“I know I have a good record at home, but having said that the field is still strong,” said Randhawa, who added that a relaxed approach has helped his game.

“I was relaxed in Thailand and I won. Next week I am off to San Francisco for sky diving before going to Europe for the European Tour. This week I’ll be riding on my motorbike to the course every day,” said Randhawa of his new approach, at the Press conference on the eve of the $ 30,0000 SAIL Open, the sixth leg of the Asian Tour.

“Basically, we golfers spend so much time on the course, so I feel some activities like these (trap shooting, scuba diving, sky diving, desert safaris, etc) help me to relax.”

“The course is very near to my home. That’s where I won my first Indian Open title. I have a lot of good memories of the golf course which is a great track.

“Length of the tees will be beneficial as there are a lot of long par fours and par fives. If you are long enough, you can do some damage. I remember I putted really well in 2000 when I won there. I was hitting the ball long, so it was fun then.”

Randhawa, winner of the Singha Thailand Open, this season has won time and again in major events in India. He has an awesome record with five Asian Tour wins in India – three Hero Indian Open crowns and two Hero Honda Masters titles – since his breakthrough win in 1998. Randhawa has also won last four times he has teed off in India on the domestic tour.

Randhawa was second at the inaugural SAIL open last year and would be looking to improving that. A win here could propel him closer to top-50 in the world, as he is currently 96th.

Randhawa was also very appreciative of SAIL, who have come back as sponsors. “Hats off to SAIL. I think we golfers should appreciate the role of sponsors and media, in promoting this sport in India,” he said.

While Randhawa will be one of the strong favourites, he will have to contend with other Indians, all of whom have begun to look strong on the Asian Tour.

S.S.P. Chowrasia, winner of the Emaar-Indian Masters last season, also seems to have found his touch with a fourth place in Thailand Open. He will be hoping to make up for the loss of form following his maiden win on Asian and European Tour.

“I have changed my putter and my game is coming together,” said Chowrasia.

Also looking for good results and a possible win will be Gaurav Ghei, Shiv Kapur and Digvijay Singh while young gun, Gaganjeet Bhullar, is also looking confident after a win on domestic Tour this week. Rahil Gangjee, seeking to find his way back to the Asian Tour, where he lost his card last season, will also be hoping to strike here.

Thailand’s Thaworn Wiratchant will be amongst the Asian Tour’s elite hoping to equal fellow compatriot’s Thongchai Jaidee’s record of a 11th career victory on the Asian Tour when the second edition of the SAIL Open gets underway next week.

The 2005 Asian Tour Order of Merit champion’s start to the season has been frustrating so far, having missed the cuts in three of the four events that he has played in so far.

“The Indians are doing so well these days. In Thailand Open, it looked like only Indian players. I was telling someone it was like Indian Open. The Indians are very strong and more so in India, but I will try my best. But I am getting old,” he said with a smile.

However, the 42-year-old Thai believes that it will be matter of time before he regains the form that has led him to 10 career titles on the Asian Tour.

Padamjit Singh Sandhu, Director, PGTI, said: “We are delighted to welcome back the SAIL Open 2009. Tournaments of this stature will give our players an opportunity to compete against the best golfing talent from across the region and play a key role in popularising the sport.

“With many top Asian and Indian stars slated to compete in the event, there is a lot to look forward to. The PGTI is indeed thankful to SAIL for helping create playing opportunities for our players.”

Commenting on Omega’s association with golf, P.H. Narayanan, Brand Manager, Omega India, said, “Omega defines precision and for any sportsman – precision matters the most. No wonder then Omega has been the official timekeeper for time immemorial for games across genres be it European Masters, Mission Hills or Olympics. SAIL OPEN reinforces Omega’s commitment to the world of golf.”

The SAIL Open forms the sixth leg of this season’s Asian Tour Schedule and is the first of the two Asian Tour events in India this year.

Source: SAIL Open press release

No comments:

Post a Comment