Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Team Asia Girls get silver in ITTF World Cadet Challenge

New Delhi, October 29, 2014: Europe defeated Asia 3-2 to win the Girls’ Team title in the final of the 2014 ITTF World Cadet Challenge in Bridgetown, Barbados Tuesday night. Thus, Europe regained the title after nine years—they had won gold way back in 2005.

The Asian team comprised of Lee Ka Yee, Mima Ito, Kim Jiho and Archana Kamath of India.  Archana was selected into the team after her performance in the Asia Junior Table Tennis Championships at Mumbai in September.

Lisa Lung did the star turn for Europe as she won the crucial fifth match against Lee Ka Yee 5-11, 11-6, 13-11, 11-9 to secure the title for her team. Her win came in the nick of time as she had lost her first singles against Mima Ito  8-11, 6-11, 8-11. Earlier, Mima Ito had beaten Adina Diaconu in the fourth rubber to level the team score at 2-2.

“It was really important against Lee Ka Yee in the last match win the third game. I led 10-8 but then I lost the next three points,” said Lisa Lung. “I thought I could still win and I tried to relax and play my game. I think my forehand top spin worked to my advantage today,” she added.

In qualification rounds, Team Asia had registered triumphs against teams from Oceania, Latin America and Hopes teams and in the semifinals beat North America-30.
The doubles and singles events at the Challenge begins on October 30.

A TTFI Press release


No comments:

Post a Comment