Monday, November 9, 2015

Chiragh hangs on to the lead in round three despite a 72; Siddikur on his tail

New Delhi, November 7, 2015: Two Indians and two Bangladeshis, all four Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI) members, topped the leaderboard at the end of round three of the US$400,000 Panasonic Open India at the Delhi Golf Club on Saturday.

While India’s Chiragh Kumar hung on to his lead at his home course at 11-under-205 despite a sedate even-par-72 on day three, Bangladesh’s Md Siddikur Rahman shot a bogey-free four-under-68 to be on the leader’s tail at 10-under-206.

Chikkarangappa also returned a 68 to be the highest-placed Indian after Chiragh in tied third at eight-under-208 along with Md Zamal Hossain Mollah of Bangladesh who carded a 70.

Chiragh Kumar (67-66-72), the overnight leader by three shots, maintained his edge on the third day in spite of a 72 that featured five birdies, three bogeys and a double-bogey. Chiragh got off to a poor start for the second day in succession as he conceded a double-bogey on the opening hole after hitting his tee shot far left. Kumar, playing in his backyard, the DGC, managed to pull it back with two birdie putts on the third and eighth from a range of 15 to 20 feet.

Chiragh found himself in trouble again on the 11th and 12th where he dropped strokes after a couple of errant tee shots. The 31-year-old, looking for his maiden Asian Tour title, then rallied with his fourth birdie hat-trick of the tournament on the 13, 14 and 15 despite missing the fairway on the latter two holes. A bad swing led Kumar to miss the green on the 17th where he dropped another bogey.

“I stayed there and I fought hard. I’m not too unhappy with my result because the way I’ve been hitting the ball, it could have been worse. I wasn’t swinging it good today. I don’t know if it was my alignment or my rhythm but it was a little off. I hope it will be better tomorrow,” said Chiragh.

 He added, “I hit some good shots on the back nine. I birdied 13 (four feet), 14 (nine feet) and 15 (12 feet) and that got my round together.

 “Right now, I’m glad the round is over. There’s always pressure. It depends on how you deal with the situation. I want to go out there and enjoy it. I haven’t been in this position before and therefore want to make the most of it.

 “I kept telling myself not to let the bad shots get to me. I kept grinding out until the very last hole. I stuck to my plan and didn’t get defensive.”

Md Siddikur Rahman (68-70-68) gained one place from his overnight tied third as a result of his bogey-free effort. Siddikur, a two-time winner on the Asian Tour with a fabulous record at DGC, made a crucial up and down from 30 yards for birdie on the eighth before landing it within four feet for his other birdies on the 11th, 14thand 18th. He’s made only three bogeys in the first three rounds this week.

Siddikur said, “This is one of my favourite golf courses and I really enjoy playing here. I’m happy with my game. I made a good birdie on hole 18. It was a given birdie from four feet. It is very important to keep your ball on the fairway. That’s the key to a good score.


“I don’t have a score in mind. I just need to focus in the final round. I’ve been suffering with a lower back injury for a year and a half. I’m still under treatment so I’m happy with the way I’ve been playing especially in the last few months.”

Bengaluru-based Chikkarangappa (69-71-68) is the other top Indian contender besides Chiragh going into the final round. Chikka, who won the Asian Development Tour event at his home course Eagleton last week, played his three-iron to perfection on Saturday to fire a brilliant 68 comprising five birdies and a bogey that helped him move up five places to tied third.

Chikka, “My tee shots have been really strong, that’s my strongest point right now. But I’m struggling a little bit in reading the speed of the greens a little bit. I guess tomorrow is the day for me to roll them in. I’ve taken the Woods out of my bag and I’ve been hitting just the three-iron. I’m hitting that club really well, getting up to 270-280 yards. That’s a big change for me this week.

“Today, I just kept myself composed, unlike the first two days when I was unhappy with the way I was putting. For tomorrow I need to hole a few putts early in the round. I’m really looking for a win because I just made my card going through Q-school, but I am on the border. I’m just going to go out there and think about every possible shot and try to stay in the moment.

The Asian Tour rookie added, “Probably, I’ll ring Anirban (Lahiri), and get a few tips from him. He won his first Asian Tour event here at the Delhi Golf Club. So probably, I would like to follow in his footsteps.”  

Md Zamal Hossain Mollah (71-67-70) made five birdies, a bogey and a double-bogey on Saturday to continue in tied third place and stay in touch with the leader. Zamal will be looking at his personal best this week as he has never had a top-20 finish on the Asian Tour till date.

Thai veteran Thaworn Wiratchant and Sri Lankan Mithun Perera were tied fifth at seven-under-209 while Indians Shubhankar Sharma and Vikrant Chopra were a further shot back in tied seventh. Shubhankar’s five-under-67 punctuated by six birdies and one bogey was the best score of the day.

The Indian trio of Rashid Khan, Sujjan Singh and Shankar Das grabbed a share of ninth at five-under-211 while their compatriots Indians Manav Jaini and Jyoti Randhawa were one behind in joint 12th.

Indians Rahil Gangjee and Mukesh Kumar took a share of 14th place at three-under-213.

Scores after round 3 of the Panasonic Open India 2015 being played at the par 72, 6983 Yards Delhi GC course:

205 - Chiragh KUMAR (IND) 67-66-72.
206 - Siddikur RAHMAN (BAN) 68-70-68.
208 - Chikka S. (IND) 69-71-68, Zamal HOSSAIN (BAN) 71-67-70.
209 - Thaworn WIRATCHANT (THA) 68-72-69, Mithun PERERA (SRI) 66-70-73.
210 - Shubhankar SHARMA (IND) 70-73-67, Vikrant CHOPRA (IND) 71-68-71.
211 - Rashid KHAN (IND) 71-71-69, Sujjan SINGH (IND) 71-70-70, Shankar DAS (IND) 69-71-71.
212 - Manav JAINI (IND) 72-71-69, Jyoti RANDHAWA (IND) 69-72-71.
213 - Panuphol PITTAYARAT (THA) 72-71-70, Rahil GANGJEE (IND) 70-74-69, Namchok TANTIPOKHAKUL (THA) 71-71-71, Mukesh KUMAR (IND) 70-71-72, K. PRABAGARAN (SRI) 69-70-74, Pawin INGKHAPRADIT (THA) 70-68-75.
214 - Teemu PUTKONEN (FIN) 72-71-71, Khalin JOSHI (IND) 69-73-72, Pariya JUNHASAVASDIKUL (THA) 74-72-68.
215 - Abhishek JHA (IND) 71-73-71, Gaganjeet BHULLAR (IND) 71-73-71, Thitiphun CHUAYPRAKONG (THA) 68-75-72, Donlaphatchai NIYOMCHON (THA) 75-70-70, Feroz ALI (IND) 76-70-69, Sanjay KUMAR (IND) 70-71-74.

PGTI Press release



No comments:

Post a Comment