Friday, November 4, 2011

Chikka makes a strong comeback on Day 2

Mumbai, November 2, 2011: Bangalore star S. Chikkarangappa’s one-day old little nephew and his positive attitude helped him to make a spectacular comeback on the second day of LIC Western India Amateur Golf Championship at Bombay Presidency Golf Club here.

Chikka shot 5-under for the total of 7-under 133 (68,65) to top the leader board while Ambala’s Manav Das who was third yesterday jumped to the second place in a tie along with Khalin Joshi. Das hit two-under for the total of three-under 137 (69, 68) while Joshi came third after shooting one-under for the total of three-under 137 (68,69).

Yesterday’s leader Aditya Bhandarkar had a disastrous day as he came back with 3-over for the total of two-under 138 (65, 73) for the fourth place. Coming from behind, Chandigarh’s Angad Cheema carded one-under for the total of level par 140 in a tie along with the winner of Maharashtra Open, Udayan Mane who shot 2-over for two days total of level par 140 (68,72) to slip to sixth position. Total 39 players have made the cut at 12-over.

Chikka who became an uncle yesterday after his sister delivered a baby boy back home had all the luck going for him. He had two brilliant eagles on the 1st and the finishing hole showed that how his little nephew brought rhythm to his game. A delighted Chikka said, “Don’t ask me for birdies today, ask about eagles. Keeping my sister’s new born in mind, I made a great start with an eagle on the first hole, made birdies on 6th, 13th, 15th but I did bogey on the 4th and 11th, still the feel good factor in me kept me going. My new R11 driver which I bought before Indian Open and Foam rollers for cool down exercise that I bought yesterday have finally given me a good result and I am feeling happier than ever in last four weeks. I am just going to stick to my game in the next two days with a picture of holding another trophy in my hands.”

Joshi, 19, had to struggle because of a two shot penalty on 6th hole despite making six birdies on 1st, 4th, 14th, 15th, 16th and 18th. He also bogeyed the 3rd and 9th which couldn’t make his scores very impressive. A disheartened Joshi said, “My ball got plugged in the rough on 6th hole and I took a drop without knowing that it’s a penalty. By the time I reached 14th, I saw Chikka taking a drop on 11th and I realized that my mistake on the 6th hole turned into a triple bogey and at the end of the day, I could only come up with a bad score. I am looking to play more consistent golf in the next two days to finish with a good score.”

Photo caption: S Chikkarangappa in action in Mumbai on November 2, 2011.

Press release

No comments:

Post a Comment